Built in the 17th century, it was renovated and embellished with delicate Venetian stuccoworks by the De Pace family, who acquired its property from the D’Ospina, of ancient Spanish origin, after 1774. The rich merchant and banker Giovanni De Pace made of it an example of elegant bourgeois residence between the 18th and 19th centuries.
In 1812 this palace was the birthplace of the Risorgimento heroine Antonietta De Pace who conspired in favour of the Italian unity in connection with Poerio and Mazzini and who had the honour of making a triumphal entrance with Garibaldi in Naples in 1860. Today it is owned by the Stasi family.
Original text – Elio Pindinelli
English translation by Rocco Merenda